Clearwater Beach FL - This is always a touchy since it's a project no one is excited to undertake - however it can make a huge difference. We're still seeing lots of competition in Clearwater Beach Real Estate market this month with only @ 10% of properties selling each month so as Tammie points out below -
Do you really want to limit the number of buyers that will even consider your home?
If you are thinking of selling your Clearwater Beach condo give us a call for a Free Market Analysis and evaluation of possible small changes that can get you the most money for your property.
- SFR -Clearwater Beach FL Short Sales Agents
- CLHMS - Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialists
Cell - 727-710-8035
Seller's call- 727-422-8901
Why Sellers Should Remove Wallpaper
Today I received a call from a home seller in response to an expired letter. Her home had been on the market for over a year. It was easy to see from the photos why her home had not sold.
Several of the rooms were wallpapered. It looked like something my grandmother would have hung in the '80s.
I advised the seller that in this current market, it is important for her home to appeal to the largest number of buyers. The best way to do that would be to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls with a neutral color.
Her response, "That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're telling me my home hasn't sold because of the wallpaper?"
Through further questioning, I was able to determine that in a years time, she only had one showing. And that was almost a year ago, when the home first came on the market.
This home is a million dollar listing. Homes at this price point look like something out of a designer magazine. This home is definitely not up to that standard.
Here are the reasons she gave for not removing the wallpaper:
1. She paid a LOT of money for that beautiful wallpaper!
2. It's too costly to remove it!
Here are the reasons why sellers SHOULD remove wallpaper:
- Neutral paint colors have a broader appeal to buyers. Wallpaper is an extremely personal choice. That personal choice may not be the same as a buyers. Not everyone is a fan of wallpaper. By removing wallpaper, sellers increase their chances of selling.
- The photos displayed in MLS (multiple listing service) have become your first showing. The National Association of REALTORS, reports that 90% of home buyers begin their search on the internet. Buyers determine the homes they want to see by the photos shown in the MLS. If the home doesn't show well in comparison to other homes at the same price, the buyer will simply choose not to see that home. If a home isn't being shown, it's not likely that it will sell.
- Removing wallpaper can be costly. That's right. Removing wallpaper usually requires the aid of chemicals or steam. It can be a painstaking process and, in some cases, damage may occur to the walls. If that happens, the walls may require additional repair. Buyers don't want to deal with the additional expense or hassle of removing wallpaper. Especially, in a market when so many homes are picture perfect.
My question to the seller was:
Do you want to limit your buyer pool to a buyer who loves your wallpaper? Her response, "Yes, I do." Obviously, that hasn't worked so far.
I wished her well and said, "If you're not willing to take the advice of a trained professional who looks at homes everyday, then I'm sorry I can't help you sell your home."
Sellers, do you want to limit your buyer pool to a buyer who loves your wallpaper? Of course not. In order to sell your home, it must appeal to the largest number of buyers. The only way to do that is remove obstacles that will keep them from buying your home.
Why do I say this? Because I want the same thing you want...to SELL your home.
P. S. If you would like to get other ideas on how to increase the chances of selling your home, contact me today at (615) 495-0752.************************************************************************************Tammie White, Realtor® in Franklin TNCell Phone: (615)495-0752
This posting and the contents written here are the intellectual property and opinions of Tammie White of Benchmark Realty LLC. Providing real estate services to clients in Franklin, Brentwood, Nolensville, Thompsons Station, Spring Hill, Fairview, Leipers Fork, Nashville and the whole Middle TN area.